Skip to content

Post Apocalyptic Kale?

June 6, 2012
tags:

Good lord, this stuff grows.

The more we pick away at it, top it, or cut it off at the ankles, the more we seem to have.

If Kroger evaporated tomorrow and I had to feed myself strictly from what could be grown behind the fence here, Kale might be the savior.

I guess we were just accustomed to our winter spinach and turnip green patches, which provided generous and steady supplies of greens over the winter before last but were eventually depleted by the time spring approached. A couple of cuts and the plants were done.

This Winterbor kale just grows exponentially by comparison.

These plants were seeded last August and have actually been “well grazed” since mid December.

(A dusty boot for scale:)

But that’s chump change compared to these:

So here is the offer:

Friends and family, please let me know it you would like a trunk load of kale, pre-apocalyptic as it is. I will share and can use the space.

Advertisements
10 Comments leave one →
  1. June 6, 2012 9:46 pm

Wow!! I wish I were nearby so I could indulge in some of that! That’s amazing! Where’d you get your seeds (or was it plants you planted?)? I just bought seed this year to grow it for the first time. I hope mine goes monolithic also!

• June 6, 2012 9:48 pm

by the way, may I ask what zone you’re in? I’m zone 4 :-/

• June 6, 2012 10:30 pm

7- north GA

• June 6, 2012 9:48 pm

Winterbor is in several catalogs, it starts slow but really grows once established

• June 6, 2012 10:46 pm

Wow, zone 7….. that would be nice in most ways! I’ll check for the Winterbor. It looks like a good one to keep some seed on hand! Thanks for the response

2. June 7, 2012 3:58 am

Now that’s pretty wild Kale…you should save seeds from that one.

3. Call me the breeze permalink
    June 7, 2012 2:51 pm

When we come pick up our hound after vacation, we will also take some vast quantities of kale off your hands……………….zone 7 kale that is………not JJ Kale

4. June 7, 2012 11:19 pm

I’ve looked for the seeds & I guess the Winterbor is a hybrid. It wouldn’t do any good to save seed from a hybrid would it? I think it would still be worth getting some seeds!

• June 8, 2012 6:06 am

Yes, Winterbor is a hybrid

5. June 8, 2012 9:44 am

great-looking kale… would be happy to help, but the commute is, well, you know…

We got inspired by your tomato cages and built similar ones for Mom’s tomatoes this year. They seem to be very happy in there.