Skip to content

Midsummer photomapping Part #1

July 26, 2012

Last week I snapped a disk full of garden perspective photos last so that I would have something to reference next spring when I’m planning out the summer garden.  I also wanted something to reference while on vacation as I consider what changes can be made during the off season that improve the overall look of things.  Most of my major “infrastructure” projects are done (it has been a long 3 years) and I might have the time and energy this winter to rearrange a bit, add and remove a few things and generally speaking tie off a few “aesthetically important” loose ends.
If you haven’t broken the code by now, “aesthetically important” can be translated as getting rid of the last eyesore areas that crawl on Mrs cohutt’s nerves and adding substantially more color, ie flowers and pretty things I can’t eat.

In this series I figure I’ll just take an area at a time and lay it out for all to see and include thoughts and rationale for why things are the way they are.

The first stop is the patio area immediately below the sun room window; it also happens to be the most recent area that has received a make over. In this case the makeover started with moving the common boxwoods from the patio border (I relocated some and donated a few to a friend and coworker who moved into the neighborhood)..

The patio furniture has a fresh coat of paint now and moving the boxwoods allowed for a border bed to be installed on the front and left side

The fence side has a mixed bed of perennials and self reseeding annuals that have taken hold (I forget the names and aren’t where I can look them up).

A late seed planting of two types of hostas is under the plastic fencing (which keeps cats and squirrels at bay until the plants have half a chance).

The corner has an offspring of a large sage plant in another area of the yard; I decided to see how well Sage does in partial (mostly) shade.   I’ve also tried to control the weed growth in the shaded area beside the patio over to Lizzie’s house with mulch (for now).

The addition of a dripline into the inhospitably hot and dry section between the patio and the foundation has made all the difference in the world.  The formerly barren and “brick-locked” bed is now a thriving patch of mint (from a couple of plants donated by a friend a whole back)  with a rosemary cutting establishing itself on the end.

I somehow decided that a good spot for two old pots id in front of the wild perennial bed;  one has thyme and a purple basil of some sort and the other has several elephant garlic corms I had given up for dead until two sprouted months later.

I had no idea what I wanted to place in the “new” borders freed up by the boxwood moves; in a pinch I decided to transplant some basil seedlings and then added some rainbow and ruby chard. I hadn’t paid enough attention to how much sun each part of the border actually gets and decided temporary plantings would be best.   The chard may get eaten this fall but originally it was planted as a filler because I just like the way it looks.

The hostas I referenced earlier will likely spend a little time where I seeded them but will ultimately be thinned via transplanting to fill in other shady areas nearby.

There is a lot that can be done with this area that might look good; I just need some ideas and perhaps will even loosen up and follow some advice from people who actually know what they are doing.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. July 27, 2012 5:01 am

    great idea! thanks

    • July 27, 2012 6:32 am

      The first one was easy, there are a couple hundred pics to sort through for the other sections

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: