Skip to content

Potato Bandito

June 29, 2011

(WordPress referrals, be sure to read hasty update @ end of comments)
I couldn’t resist any longer and hand probed two potato beds for tubers…

The Red Pontiac sample spud was nice; the yukon gold was colossal.

There will be a potato harvest this year after all….

In the meantime potato/elephant garlic soup is in the fridge.

Advertisements
10 Comments leave one →
  1. foxflat permalink
    June 29, 2011 8:22 pm

    I did the same thing tonight – couldn’t wait! You pulled in a better sneak harvest though. My digging just brought up a teeny baby potato.

  2. Dailey permalink
    June 29, 2011 8:56 pm

    Wish I was home…I bet that was delicious

  3. June 29, 2011 9:30 pm

    I felt obliged to leave the little ones in the picture too 🙂

    And they were very good.

  4. June 30, 2011 9:13 am

    Garlic and potato soup! I wish I was eating that right now.

    • June 30, 2011 5:36 pm

      Elephant garlic round sliced & diced with a wee shallot, waiting for taters

  5. Clay permalink
    June 30, 2011 1:12 pm

    Maybe we should start calling you “Spud” instead of Cohutt!

  6. Clay permalink
    July 11, 2011 8:20 am

    We ate the spuds for dinner last night………………………..great! Thanks for sending a few home. I hope you bring some to the beach. If you do, I’ll make hash browns.

  7. August 25, 2011 8:26 am

    Great job on the potatoes. I tried a “potato box” experiment this year (http://yupneck1.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/garden-experiments/)and (http://yupneck1.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/the-potato-box-experiment-is-a-complete-failure/). It was a total failure. Couple of questions. How high did you let the walls of your boxes get? I built mine out to 27 1/2″ I think that was just too high. I think the plants put all of their effort into making foliage instead of potatoes. Also, I used whole potatoes instead of eyes. Have you had any experience growing from the whole potato as oppossed to an eye?

    • August 25, 2011 5:35 pm

      Mine ended up being disspointing when all was said and done.

      Walls in the white walled potato box/beds were 14″ I believe. In the other beds, the raised walls allowed for approximately 1 foot – 15″ of hilling max.

      I experienced rot in the boxes that produced the ones in this post. I enedded up digging them all promptly and we still had an issue with rot. It could have been the hardpan base that the box sat on, a low spot in the contour of the ground. Or, perhaps, disease out of my controll or maybe faulty curing/harvesting measures.

      Same experience with the other beds.

      I believe I under wtaered initally then overwatered once i relaized my mistake, creating a worse problems. My panic harvest likely screwed up things so that they didn’t cure porperly.

      Who knows, hoinestly it was so dissapointing and I had so many other things to get done that i didn’t (and haven’t yet) sat down to really think it through.

      Oh well, if I ever do i will post.

      • August 30, 2011 9:51 am

        Thanks for taking the time to answer. I did a little more research and discovered that potatoes that have a lot of nitrogen available will grow great greens but few potatoes. Since I planted and mulched in pure mushroom compost, I am going to write the failure off to too much available N. I am planting the fall potatoes now. I think I am going to try growing in sand as oppossed to compost. We will see how it goes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: